Thread: Welcome to Purist Audio Design Forums!

Cool Welcome to Purist Audio Design Forums!

I'm Jim Aud, founder of Purist Audio Design. I'm here to talk about cables, how they interact, the myths, the misconceptions, and am open to any questions you have.

Regards,

Jim Aud
    CEO and Founder, Purist Audio Design
    www.puristaudiodesign.com

Myles B. Astor, PhD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm Jim Aud, founder of Purist Audio Design. I'm here to talk about cables, how they interact, the myths, the misconceptions, and am open to any questions you have.

Regards,

Jim Aud
    CEO and Founder, Purist Audio Design
    www.puristaudiodesign.com
    Welcome Jim!

Jim is one of favorite manufacturers, a wealth of knowledge and we're really lucky to have him at AVSF! I think Jim can also speak to AC line problems and solutions as well!

Jim's also owned systems we only read about too! Jim should one day tell everyone about his Levinson HQD speakers!!!

Maybe Jim can start out talking about the pluses/minuses of short IC/long speaker vs. long IC/short speaker runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor, PhD View Post

Maybe Jim can start out talking about the pluses/minuses of short IC/long speaker vs. long IC/short speaker runs?
    After some thought, I made a separate thread. Topics like this are a novel in and of themselves. Thanks for bringing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor, PhD View Post

Levinson HQD speakers
    The HQD system consists of two Quad ESL 57 Electrostat speakers, in each in a special stand with the top quad inverted. Then, a pair of Decca London Ribbon Tweeters in-between, with two 24" Hortley Subwoofer (one on each side).

The system is basically tri-amp'd, and has changed throughout the years. The first one used all Levinson 20 watt Pure Class A amplifiers. I've experimented with different amplifiers through the years.

The system is a very personal system, because it has a very narrow sweet spot. As far as musical enjoyment, it is a very musical and detailed. It is a very big system, because it takes a huge footprint. WAF is nonexistant.

Also consider this is a system that goes back to the 70s. So you are talking some time ago. However, it's a solid system, enjoyable, and what I would consider a reference system. There are other systems out there that I would rank with the HQD, such as the Infinity IRS's, which is another classic system.

By comparison, to today's modern speakers, there are speakers that have advanced the art immensely. Some that come to mind are Andy's Rockport Technology. I feel Andy's speakers possess a strong accuracy and sound stage. You are not locked into a "sweet spot." There is something nice about their base, speed, and integration.

While I wouldn't trade my Levinson HQDs, I also appreciate today's advances in speaker design. They are not the only ones I possess, but are certainly treasured.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-03-2015 at 04:16 PM.