Thread: Snake oil or not?!

Senior Member and Executive Music Editor javad's Avatar

Snake oil or not?!

Thank God, “finally” the differences between cables can be SEEN.
    There are too many audiophiles who can not HEAR any difference.

My father often says, "Denial is nature's anti-depressant." I think that's why people put down quality cables. It's because they can't afford them or at least just don't like the idea of spending money on them as they're not particularly exciting. I can't think of a good system that I've ever heard that didn't have good cabling (and amps). Speaking of which the new Audionet/YG videos are awesome!! The Heisenberg/Stern with the Sonja XV is the new altar for which all others have to kneel, unless Wilson is planning to show their new statement at any shows. Does anyone know?

I really need to stop post on audio forums.

Why? You didn't do anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PicknPop View Post
    My father often says, "Denial is nature's anti-depressant."
    Your father is absolutely right.

I think the best thing about High End audio is, if I don't like it, I can choose to not buying it. but there is a little bit different for some people. They want to have it, but they don't like the price. I think these people can find very good cables with reasonable price if they search more and learn how to choose the proper gauge of wire.

Quote Originally Posted by PicknPop View Post
    I can't think of a good system that I've ever heard that didn't have good cabling (and amps).
    x2
    You are totally right.
    The problem is most audiophiles don´t know exactly what to look for in the sound. A good friend of mine, great audiophile with a great system, usually say that most of times we only know what is missing when we have it. And there are a lot of audiophiles that never tried nothing more than the Supra 1, 2, 3 or 4.
    And the only experiences they make are around some lamp wire, with low capacitance. If we combined this cables with some systems from the beginning of the 20th century and some hard hears...

Saying this, i´m with Javad too. I think is not (only) a question of price. We can find some good cables at affordable price and some snake oil at high prices. And the same about active components.