Thread: Power Amp choices...

Power Amp choices...

I am looking for my first ever power amp and I am overwhelmed with options. Would really appreciate some input

What I need:
    About 75-100W / 8 Ohm.
    Great bass control (or my speakers become a "boom boom" nightmare).
    Good dynamics and imaging.
    Very LOW noise floor.
    Prefer musicality to precision as I am not an analytical listener - but groove factor is highly subjective Iīm aware.
    My speakers are spacey/aloof and have a tendency to play with less presence and attack - sort of recessed - perhaps as a consequence of the unnaturally large soundstage or space they play with?

What I donīt want/need:
    Class A
    Tubes
    RIAA (never Vinyl, the kids ate my future collection)
    Build in DAC
    The big established asian brands.

Budget: $3-4000 or less (not more
    I donīt mind buying used, but the selection in Denmark on the used market is limited.

If people have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear of them.

PS
    I have owned:
    Hegel H300 which was good with incredibly low noise floor, but a little "clinical" sounding too. Unimpressive bass control for an amp this class. Great dynamics.
    Primare I30 which has fine presence, attack and speed but zero musicality and the worst bass control Iīve heard.
    Rega Elicit II which has tremendous bass control, beats H300 by far! Very leaned back sound, fine imaging and horrific attack. Narrow dynamics. Good musicality. Just sounds immensely soft.
    Denon and Marantz mid tier stuff, just bad in most respects.
    System: Primare CD21 - NuForce DAC80 - Rega Elicit mk II - ProAc D18. -- Cables: Nordost Blue Heaven Digital, Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference II, Mogami 3104 (speakers) - Power: Furutech e-TP80E

Whats comes first to mind is Odyssey. Call Klaus he give you great advice. I believe the Kismet stereo amp is in your budget Tell him AVShowrooms sent you.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products...mplifiers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paracelsus View Post
    I am looking for my first ever power amp and I am overwhelmed with options. Would really appreciate some input

What I need:
    About 75-100W / 8 Ohm.
    Great bass control (or my speakers become a "boom boom" nightmare).
    Good dynamics and imaging.
    Very LOW noise floor.
    Prefer musicality to precision as I am not an analytical listener - but groove factor is highly subjective Iīm aware.
    My speakers are spacey/aloof and have a tendency to play with less presence and attack - sort of recessed - perhaps as a consequence of the unnaturally large soundstage or space they play with?

What I donīt want/need:
    Class A
    Tubes
    RIAA (never Vinyl, the kids ate my future collection)
    Build in DAC
    The big established asian brands.

Budget: $3-4000 or less (not more
    I donīt mind buying used, but the selection in Denmark on the used market is limited.

If people have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear of them.

PS
    I have owned:
    Hegel H300 which was good with incredibly low noise floor, but a little "clinical" sounding too. Unimpressive bass control for an amp this class. Great dynamics.
    Primare I30 which has fine presence, attack and speed but zero musicality and the worst bass control Iīve heard.
    Rega Elicit II which has tremendous bass control, beats H300 by far! Very leaned back sound, fine imaging and horrific attack. Narrow dynamics. Good musicality. Just sounds immensely soft.
    Denon and Marantz mid tier stuff, just bad in most respects.
    Founder: AVShowrooms- over 15,000,000 video views! featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Kronos Ltd. video review- AVS, Audionet- AVS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phrase: Bugatti of Audio.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give Klaus a call some time. I have been wanting to audition Odyssey for a long time, thanks to your videos. The nearest dealer is in the Netherlands, which makes it a bit tricky.

Do you know if Klaus showcased the Kismet at any of the trade shows yet?
    System: Primare CD21 - NuForce DAC80 - Rega Elicit mk II - ProAc D18. -- Cables: Nordost Blue Heaven Digital, Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference II, Mogami 3104 (speakers) - Power: Furutech e-TP80E

Hi,
    The video Peter posted is from this year's AXPONA and Klaus is exhibiting with the Kismet. IMO, it was one of the best sounding rooms at the show.

Smile

Hi Terry,

I would love to have heard that room.

I was wondering about a video featuring the Kismet Stereo Amp, that Peter was recommending. This video features the Karthagos according to Klaus.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry E. View Post
    Hi,
    The video Peter posted is from this year's AXPONA and Klaus is exhibiting with the Kismet. IMO, it was one of the best sounding rooms at the show.

My mistake. Sorry, I overlooked Stereo Amp.

Letīs hope Klaus is going to have it on show some time in the near future.

His website has limited information and photographs on the Kismet - seems very new!

Any opinions on Bryston amps - I might be able to get a good used deal.

Bryston amps have the reputation of measuring well and sounding very good. They are also considered "second" tier amps as compared to amps such as D'Agastino because while sounding good they may not sound magical. I have never had one in my system for this reason. This is all industry scuttlebutt so I recommend you try one before buying one.
    Founder: AVShowrooms- over 15,000,000 video views! featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Kronos Ltd. video review- AVS, Audionet- AVS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phrase: Bugatti of Audio.

Quote Originally Posted by peteravshow View Post
    Bryston amps have the reputation of measuring well and sounding very good. They are also considered "second" tier amps as compared to amps such as D'Agastino because while sounding good they may not sound magical. I have never had one in my system for this reason. This is all industry scuttlebutt so I recommend you try one before buying one.
    Thank you Peter. That is very valuable insight to share. Will absolutely not buy without listening first.