Thread: Peter Aczel, rest in peace. The Audio Critic passes.

Peter Aczel, rest in peace. The Audio Critic passes.

My old friend Peter Aczel passed on June 22. We met in 1987 after I started the Philadelphia Audio Society. We quickly hit it off as I told him why I started the society. At the time I was reading the underground mags and each issue would have a component that would surpass a similar component in the last issue. I spent $5000 for a preamp that was quickly surpassed by the MK II model. I was furious and took out an ad for charter memberships for the Philadelphia Audio Society in Audio Magazine. Four philes initially responded and the society was underway. I wanted to meet other consumers, not just read "reviews" from self proclaimed experts. Peter thought this was a grand idea.

He told me to always trust my ears and that most of the magazines were corrupt accepting lavish diners and expensive wine in return for reviews. Little has changed in this regard

We were more friends than audio listening buds. I was veering into the world of SET amps and Peter was moving more to the world of measurements. When we visited we would not talk much about audio.

He called out many self proclaimed experts and made a name for himself with a sharp pencil and quick mind. The self proclaimed experts hated this and Peter would always win the battles with words. I loved having a ringside seat as I grew the society into the largest in country in the 1990s. Peter made some sideways business decisions and the "Audio Critic" lost its popularity. But, his lessons stayed with me... trust my ears, trust you own ears, and listen to the experts who sell, distribute and manufacture the equipment.

This is the foundation of AVShowrooms. We remove the filter of the "intellectual experts" and let the viewers hear and see the equipment for themselves through the video medium. At AVShowrooms, the consumer, dealer, distributor and manufacturer is "king", not the reviewer. This was Peter's basic tenet and philosophy. Yes, we give our opinions but you join us in the reviews and reports by our side. Thank you Peter, you will be missed.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mcall/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=185898962
    Founder: AVShowrooms- over 15,000,000 video views! featuring video reports of audio shows, company tours and reviews. Resume' includes; the absolute sound, Stereophile, Listener Magazine, founder Philadelphia Audio Society. Top articles: Lamm ML3- TAS, YG Anat III Signatures- TAS, Ayon- TAS, Kronos Ltd. video review- AVS, Audionet- AVS, Single Ended Survey- TAS, Fisher 500c- Stereophile, Bozak CGs- Stereophile, Box Sets- Listener, Dynaco ST70-Listener. Best catch phrase: Bugatti of Audio.

Senior Member and Executive Music Editor javad's Avatar
    RIP. nice post Peter.

"He told me to always trust my ears and that most of the magazines were corrupt accepting lavish diners and expensive wine in return for reviews. Little has changed in this regard "

Ain't that the truth. Shortly after I started writing for TAS, Steve Bednarski of B.A.T. told me I would never make it as a reviewer because I was too honest. Aren't we suppose to be honest?

Hopefully I'll be retiring soon as a reviewer so I can finally call a piece of crap a piece of crap without having to make it smell good first :-)

Always always always trust your own ears.

Sue

Senior Member and Executive Music Editor javad's Avatar
    Thats the reason I never trust audio magazines. I think In high end audio Pinocchio is the boss.
    I just like to see Peter videos.