Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to start?

Would you all include a power conditioner or distributor as part of power cables or is it okay to plug them into a surge protector until I've put the entire loom together?

Quote Originally Posted by PicknPop View Post
    Would you all include a power conditioner or distributor as part of power cables or is it okay to plug them into a surge protector until I've put the entire loom together?
    Power distribution is part of the system. In most places a power conditioner hurts more than it helps, we have 4 systems here all without power conditioners. I would at least spring for a good power strip and you can work your way up.

The need for a power conditioner arises when the power coming is of low quality. There are such places in the US where the power supplied is terrible.
    Engineer with interests in equipment for recording and playback. Manufacturing interests with Audio Union International and Enklein System.
    Partial list of equipment playback only (as of 9/23/2015: Benchmark DAC, Parasound preamp and power, Sutherland Engineer phonostages, power amps, preamps (several), B&W speakers (several), Thrax electronics and speakers, Audio Union Helix 1 TT and CEC, Clear Audio TT, Merril Williams TT, Burmester preamp, Rotel preamp, Berkley Apha 1 DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kleinbeck View Post
    Power distribution is part of the system. In most places a power conditioner hurts more than it helps, we have 4 systems here all without power conditioners. I would at least spring for a good power strip and you can work your way up.

The need for a power conditioner arises when the power coming is of low quality. There are such places in the US where the power supplied is terrible.
    Yeah, I've heard power conditioning can both help or hurt the sound, depending on who you talk to. I know that I've heard it do both. It never really seemed like a high-priority to me, but I wanted to make sure. I would think that in a big city I would likely need it as I know that I've heard that it helps in NYC, for instance. Then again, a local hi-fi shop here in Seattle is against them, so I guess I won't know for sure without an ear test. Thanks Tom!